Take the kids on a motorhome road trip of a lifetime this summer
How many of your favourite childhood memories were made during the summer holidays? That ‘school’s out’ feeling, those cold ice creams in the hot sun, those late nights up in the cool of the summer evening. Summer vacation is the perfect time to create memories with your kids that will stay with them for years to come. This year, pile them into a motorhome and hit the road for the best summer holiday yet.
Taking your kids on a motorhome road trip is a great way to entertain, educate and inspire them throughout the summer. And, it’s affordable. Having transportation and accommodation taken care of in one go, plus the option of cooking all of your meals, saves you money in all areas of holidaying. You will also have more space to bring all your gear and don’t have to worry about packing and unpacking at various hotels.
Of course, we know that good planning is the key to success for any vacation with children so we have put together 4 kid-friendly USA summer road trips to get your started. Chop and change according to your own personal preferences, timeframe and budget.
From the desert to the coast, this is a fantastic road trip for the kids to experience incredibly diverse landscapes and learn a lot about the environment while having fun. Pick up a motorhome in Salt Lake City and hit the road.
- St George Dinosaur Discovery Site: Walk where dinosaurs walked in the state of Utah. The kids will love discovering dinosaur bones and learning about these giants of the past.
- The Grand Canyon: If you really want to wow your kids, you can’t lose with one of the most spectacular views in America. The Grand Canyon lives up to the hype.
- Discovery Children's Museum: The Discovery Children’s Museum in Las Vegas is a wonderful day’s outing. Take a break from your campervan road trip and stretch your legs.
- Splashes Oceanfront Water Park: There’s nothing quite like splashing around in swimming pools and flying down waterslides in the height of summer.
- Magnolia Plantation and Gardens: Take a break from driving and admire summer blooms as you meander through fresh gardens.
- Disney World: Indulge the kids’ greatest fantasies and spend a few days in the happiest place on earth.
Become a family of beach bums when you spend the summer road tripping up the west coast of the US from Seattle to San Diego - or vice versa! The beaches alone will be entertainment enough, but should the kids tire of splashing in waves and building sandcastles, check out the following attractions:
- Hearst Castle: Step into history in this San Simeon museum. Let the kids discover hidden treasures of the past in the halls of this beautiful building.
- Sacramento Zoo: Introduce the kids to exotic species from around the world in this ‘little zoo in the park’ in Sacramento. Get up and close and personal with the fluffy animals and colourful creatures, or take a ride on the zoo train.
- Sea Lion Caves: Continue on the animal-spotting adventure and experience these incredible sea mammals close up in America’s largest sea cave.
There’s nothing quite like southern hospitality. Introduce the kids to old country rockers, square dancing and true blue BBQ on a road trip throughout the southern states.
- Mississippi Museum of Natural Science: Get in some interactive learning with the incredible displays of natural science in Jackson, Mississippi.
- Country Music Hall of Fame: Teach a new generation about Elvis, Dylan and Cash. While you’re in area, check out the Nashville Parthenon.
- Six Flags Over Georgia: Every road trip with kids needs a theme park. Stop off in Atlanta for a day or so and let the adrenaline kick in.