Africa is an incredible continent with amazing wildlife, scenery, weather and people. Tanzania is no exception to this rule. The Indian Ocean coastline is replete with sandy beaches and coastal villages, snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro overlooks the border with Kenya, the Serengeti teems with wildlife and you may be surprised by the many interesting historic sites.
A motorhome rental in Tanzania can take you to all of this and so much more. With your own hotel on wheels, you can set your pace and choose the path for a self-drive adventure.
Surf to Safari
Begin your journey in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania’s major city which lies on the coast close to the island of Zanzibar. With African, Arabic and Indian influences, the shopping and dining scenes are diverse and wonderful. Here you will find Tanzania’s National Museum, the beautiful and popular Coco Beach and the many, many markets selling everything from seafood to carvings. Head up or down the coast for more seaside fun and fabulous balmy beaches.
The vast plains of the Serengeti are a highlight for visitors, and at a full day’s drive from Dar es Salaam are a great destination for your motorhome hire in Tanzania. The Big Five game animals can be spotted here frequently - lions, elephants, buffalo, leopards and rhinos. Plan a self-drive safari and make use of the campsites and lodges throughout the park.
The Ngorongoro Crater, a volcanic caldera which covers more than 100 square miles, is another natural highlight of Tanzania. It is 11 hours from Dar es Salaam, and you can break it up by visiting the impressive Mount Kilimanjaro along the way.
Book with the Experts
With a global network of rental suppliers and years of experience in helping nomadic travellers plan their holidays, Motorhome Republic makes it easy to find the perfect vehicle for your Tanzania camper hire adventure. We bring together your options on one site so you can compare and make an informed decision. See all of the features of the vehicle on the first page for easy comparisons.
Motorhome Rental in Tanzania: Tips for your Trip
Driving in Africa can be a mixed bag of well-maintained highways and dirt roads! Here are a few tips to help you out on your Tanzania motorhome hire journey.
- A 4WD camper is a great idea, and in fact these hardy vehicles make up the majority of what is available - as any Tanzania road trip is likely to take you into off-road territory!
- Many campsites are very basic (especially in safari areas), so be prepared with all you need for self-sufficiency. This is also important as a general rule, in case of emergencies and hold-ups. Lots of food and water is essential.
- Traffic in cities like Dar es Salaam can be chaotic, so drive carefully.
- Driving is on the left-hand side.
- Seatbelt use is mandatory and there are speed limits of 50 kilometres per hour and 80 kilometres per hour on urban and open roads respectively, unless otherwise advised.