Why book with Motorhome Republic?
Why book with us?
- No booking fees
- Lowest price guarantee
- Trusted by over 150,000+ customers
- 7 day service from our motorhome experts
- Free amendments on most rentals
East London Campervan Hire
East London: Out and about
There are plenty of attractions to occupy your time in East London, before you set out on your road trip. A rental vehicle makes it easy to get around, as the city is somewhat lacking in public transport!
The coast is the highlight of the area, with beautiful beaches, surfing spots and massive sand dunes at Bonza Bay. Families will enjoy the Natural History Museum, Lion Park and botanical gardens. The City Hall in Oxford Street is a landmark and the waterfront area boasts great restaurants and cafes.
Park up for the night
East London caters to motorhome travellers with a variety of campgrounds and caravan parks. Nature’s Rest is only seven kilometres from the airport and 10 minutes from a safe swimming beach, and offers sites with electrical hook-ups and shared facilities. There are numerous similar caravan parks and resorts in the area, including but not limited to Gonubie Holiday Resort in the suburb of Gonubie, PSA Resort near Bonza Bay and the RendezVous Caravan Park on the edge of Cintsa Bay.
Eating out in East London: restaurants and bars
The waterfront area and CBD are the place to go for a meal or night out. Head to the laid-back Buccaneers for good pub food and drinks, Guido’s for a family meal or Cafe Neo for a light lunch.
Try some fabulous South African wines at Grazia Fine Food and Wine or the trendy Smokey Swallows, which also offers live acts. Pubs and bars include popular Le Republik, Buccaneers and Catz.
Head out with your East London Campervan rental
There are many highways from East London into the beautiful country of South Africa. Here are a few ideas for road trips:
- Take the coastal route towards Port Elizabeth for great beaches, and continue on to Cape Town to experience the famed Garden Route. Cape Town itself is an exciting destination, home to the iconic Table Mountain and spellbinding natural beauty.
- To the north of East London and stretching up to KwaZulu-Natal is the region known as the Wild Coast - and it is beautifully untouched just as the name suggests. Follow the N2 highway and visit shipwrecks, tribal heartlands and the birthplace of Nelson Mandela.
- Heading inland will get you to the charming and friendly small city of Bloemfontein - and you can stop at the expansive Gariep Dam along the way.
- Safari parks are of course a popular destination in South Africa. In the Eastern Cape region near East London there are a few options for guided safari tours, including the Amakhala and Shamwari Game Reserves. For a self-drive safari adventure, head north towards Kruger National Park at the border with Mozambique.
Tips for South Africa Road Trips
The Motorhome Republic team has plenty of global experience of campervan hire, so here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your trip from East London:
- Heading to a safari park? A 4WD campervan is probably your best bet. They are equipped to handle dirt roads and rough terrain and there are plenty available in East London.
- For safety and legality, stay at established campsites - either government-run or privately owned.
- Be sure to keep to the speed limit at all times! They are posted, but the general rules are as follows: 60 kilometres per hour in residential areas, 80 on urban arterial roads, 100 on open roads and 120 on freeways and highways.
- In the more remote parts of the country, petrol stations can be few and far between. Stay stocked!
- Many roads between the main centres are toll roads. They take credit cards or cash, and there are several e-tolls around Gauteng. These require setting up a temporary account online - ask your rental company about the protocol.
Why book with us?
- Lowest price guarantee
- Famous brands and local fleets
- Real reviews from real customers
- One way rentals available
- 7 day customer service
- Trusted by 150,000+ customers
Top locations in South Africa
|Johannesburg||32 deals live|
|Cape Town||9 deals live|